Our Most Popular Big Block Crate Engine For The Street And Strip
Chevrolet Performance’s ZZ502/502 is one of the industry’s benchmark crate engines, offering excellent value with a proven combination of performance that is suitable for the street or strip. With more than 500 horsepower and 567 lb-ft of torque, it demands your full attention and a chassis that is strong enough to harness its frame-straining twisting power.
All ZZ502 crate engines are manufactured with GM’s updated cylinder block casting that is stronger and better supports high-performance applications. A forged crankshaft, along with forged rods and pistons, anchors the bottom end, while our popular oval-port aluminum heads offer excellent airflow characteristics. Torque tops the 500-lb-ft mark by approximately 2500 rpm and doesn’t dip below it until about 5000 rpm.
Our ZZ505/502 Deluxe package comes complete from the oil pan to the carburetor, including an HEI distributor, plug wires, starter, water pump, balancer, and an aluminum intake topped with a Holley 870-cfm four-barrel.
We’ve taken care of the engine’s details. You need to make sure your car can handle the ZZ502/502!
ZZ502/502 DELUXE TECH SPECS
Engine Type: Chevy Big Block V8
Displacement (cu. in.): 502
Bore x Stroke (in.): 4.470 x 4.000
Block (P/N 19170540): Cast Iron with 4-Bolt Main Caps
Crankshaft (P/N 10183723): Forged Steel
Connecting Rods (P/N 19170198): Forged Steel, Shot Peened
Pistons (P/N 12533507): Forged Aluminum
Camshaft Type (P/N 12366543): Hydraulic Roller
Camshaft Lift (in.): .527 Intake / .544 Exhaust
Camshaft Duration (@.050 in.): 224° Intake / 234° Exhaust
Cylinder Heads (P/N 12363390): Aluminum Oval Port; 110-cc Chambers
Valve Size (in.): 2.250 Intake / 1.880 Exhaust; Stainless Steel
Compression Ratio: 9.6:1
Rocker Arms (P/N 12368082): Stamped Steel
Rocker Arm Ratio: 1.7:1
Distributor (P/N 93440806): HEI Type
Carburetor (P/N 19170094): 870-cfm
Water Pump (P/N 19168602): Aluminum, Short Style
Spark Plugs and Wires: Included
Starter (P/N 12606096): IncludedFlexplate (P/N 10185034): 14"
Recommended Fuel: 92 Octane
Ignition Timing: Base 8° BTDC, 30° Total
Maximum Recommended Rpm: 5800
- Due to crate fitment, the carburetor is shipped in a separate box and needs to be installed by an engine installer
- Clutch linkage bosses are now drilled and tapped. When using cast-iron exhaust manifolds, lower head bolts may need to be replaced with bolts with shorter heads for clearance
- 502 engines now have a mechanical fuel pump boss!
- Comes with an externally balanced 14" automatic transmission flexplate. Use flywheel P/N 14096987 and 11" clutch assembly for manual transmission applications
- Designed for pre-1976 street vehicles or any off-road vehicle
- Not intended for marine applications